Wednesday, September 23, 2020


Entrance Slip- Sep 24 for Braiding Sweetgrass



Terminology is important for all subjects including mathematics and science. However, in order to satisfy all the constraints and to be precise, it is often stated in a complicated way that the new learner or some people are not from that field would have difficulties to understand them. For example, we may never understand the terminology the doctors use for the disease if they don't explain it in a simpler way. I think it is the same for mathematic or science that as a teacher teaches the students they have never heard the terminology, I think I will explain the concept using simple language, drawing graphs, make relations to other concepts first, when the students understand the concept then I introduce the terminology. I believe this way is easier for students to accept the terminology so that their brains won't be shut off because of the complexity that the terminologies sound like. 

I really enjoyed reading this chapter from Dr. Kimmers' book. This is also the first time to learn that the indigenous language could be so rich and beautiful. I think I would like to relate the indigenous language to our mathematical language in the classrooms. Both of these languages share the characteristic of beauty, natural and complex. I can discuss with my students how naturally mathematics lives in our lives but we just neglect their beauty and richness. When we try to learn them sometime we feel it is hard to understand, but when understanding them, we can see its beauty and richness just like the indigenous language.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... I understand and agree with what you're saying about mathematical and scientific terminology, Megan, but I don't understand your thoughts on Indigenous, animistic language around mathematics. Perhaps I need some examples to clarify -- could you please add some examples here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One example could be how would we pose word problems from indigenous point of view. Language is a way to express people's culture and thought process. By doing so, it will expose students to indigenous culture and way of thinking. It can also give new insight and problem solving approaches to students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice idea, but I have my doubts about the usefulness of word problems in actually Indigenizing math classes! I studied word problems in my PhD work and beyond, and unfortunately, the stories (such as they are) are usually discarded immediately by most students. Keep thinking -- what other examples might make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah,after these weeks of exploring and learning with you, I found there are many chances to indigenizing math classes:such as the mathematical art projects, woving project we will do next week, I can implement the indigenous art and culture into the project.I believe students will like it.

    ReplyDelete

Symbolic World