Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Entrance Slip- Permitting Creativity in Science


The first stop for reading this article is :

I feel it is so true that often we are not comfortable being different. I remember that sometime in our experiment in first-year university physics class didn't match our hypothesis. Our group member would be panic and thought it must be us did something wrong—nobody questioning our hypothesis since it was what everyone knows. I relate Bavelas's point to my short practicum when I drew three different dimensioned rectangular prisms with the same surface areas on the whiteboard and asked my students to predict which one had the largest surface area and which one had the least. No students said they have the same surface area.

My second stopping point is:

I like this passage since it is true that the new findings which everyone knows and believes it must not big discoveries. My reflection will be don't be afraid of getting unexpected results, and I would like to also encourage my students with this passage in the future.


My third stopping point is:


I like the suggestion that taking the field already clear, not the new land, because this point reminded me of my own research. I have to admit that happened to me when I tried to research Acupuncture in an English class. I hesitated to choose this topic, although I was interested in this topic since I was afraid that there were not enough articles I could find. When I finally decided to do this topic, I was in a hurry since I felt that I didn't have enough time for my research. 







1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is important to have courage and to let the data show you what is really happening, whether or not it fits previous models!

    ReplyDelete

Symbolic World