Sunday, July 18, 2021

Mathematics for Human Flourishing

 This article is fascinating to read. At the beginning of the article, the extraordinary Christopher Jackson's story and the point of "every being cries out silently to be read differently" make me think about the real purpose of learning mathematics on a deeper level. To be honest, I haven't thought about it too much before. I wanted to be a teacher because I am qualified and like to solve math problems, and I want to share my knowledge with students and help students who struggle in math. Now, primarily through my practicum,  I realize that we should do way more than that to be a good math teacher.  I start to think about how I can engage my student to learn math not only for getting a good grade in school but beyond that to see and appreciate the beauty of mathematics and know the relationship between mathematics and the world around us.  I begin to think about how I can positively change the fixed mindset of anyone who claims to not be a math person, and never will be good at math. 

Another place I stopped is where Dr. Su stated, "mathematics is for human flourishing, and the proper practice of mathematics cultivates virtues that help people flourish." I want to reflect on how you achieve human flourishing and what it means to live a well-lived life. I recently watched a video about a Chinese teacher named Gui Mei Zhang who spent 12 years building a truly free girl high school for the poor in a rural area in China. She wants to help girls because she believes the mother's education level is essential for their children's education. During these 12 years,  she devoted herself to this school. She spent every penny and every minute on school.  She fostered about 1280 dropout girls due to poverty to get accepted by universities. After graduation, many of these girls are able to achieve fulfilling careers that contribute positively to society and the country.  I think she achieved human flourishing and had a well-lived life even though she lived a non-wealthy life. She is the most beautiful and flourishing woman even though she never has money to spend on her appearance and doesn't have the energy to maintain her health.

To me, "every being cries out silently to be read differently" means that everyone is unique. As a teacher, I need to value each student as equally important. This phrase reminded me of my adapted grade 9 class during my practicum where more than half of the students have individual education plans. They are equally important to me, and I care for each of them even though some students may need more attention than others.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing story about Gui Mei Zhang! Social or cultural values are a part of the mathematics and mathematics that we practice, but not often recognized. I appreciate your reflections about how your practicum has shifted your sense of what it is to teach mathematics - I agree that every student is unique, whether they have an IEP or not!

    ReplyDelete

Symbolic World