Friday, July 9, 2021

Reflections on Your Practicum and Thoughts on Next Steps

 

Blog Post: Reflections on Your Practicum and Thoughts on Next Steps

1. Name: Megan Fan
2. Teaching specialty/specialties: _Mathematics______________________
3. Highlights of your teaching practicum experience: 
a. Experiences that you remember with a smile (learning, growth, “I love this job!” sorts of things)


The highlight of my teaching practicum is the class of grade 11 pre-calculus I taught. Comparing to grade 8 and grade 9s, they are so motivated to learn. Every student in that class is so prepared for the class, finishing homework, taking notes in class, eager to ask questions and learn. They show their appreciation after the class. There isn’t a classroom management issue at all. The overall class test results are good; more than half of the students in that class got extending  


b. Challenges: Things that were a struggle, perhaps in the “We learn and grow through challenges and hardships” category of “learning experience.


I had a student in grade 9, who is an IEP student, and he seems immature compared to his peers and had behavioural problems during class: sleep in the class, interrupting other students, can’t sit still… I had to discuss with my SA, his case manager, other teachers chat with him a few times after classes. Eventually, he is getting better when I try to accommodate him by giving him easier questions and in the format he is interested in. 
c. Ongoing learning: Things that, at the end of your practicum, had you thinking, “I want to learn more about, or work on developing my skills in .…” (?)
Formative assessments
Classroom management 
Student engagement


4. Reflecting on how the video, “Message from the future II”, plays with the notion of messages across time: What is the most important thing that would write in a letter to your future teacher self (e.g. five years from now)?
              
      The most important thing I would write in a letter to my future self is that you must have so many opportunities to celebrate with the classes like the grade 11 pre-calculus class in your practicum. However, I wonder whether you still be passionate about teaching after encountering many unpleasant situations and challenges from students, parents, and schools.  I hope I will still be motivated with education by then.            
5. Post-BEd plans: e.g., if you have already secured a teaching job, what/where? Or, some other sort of job? Or, further studies? Or, if you don’t have solid plans, what are your hoped-for post-BEd options?): Note: The purpose of this question is to provide us (Amanda and Mati) some context to get a sense of your interests and potential needs as you move into your career


I haven’t secured a teaching job yet; the reason could be that I started to apply a bit late, and I am still seeking one. I don’t have a solid plan yet. Hopefully, I can get something related to teaching by September.


6. Anything else? If there is anything else you would like to share, please do! Amanda and Mati would love to learn more about you - 


  Not Yet! I would like to share with all of you if I have some. Thanks.
























1 comment:

  1. Very interesting reflection - comparing the experiences of working with grade 11 and grade 9. It's wonderful that you had the chance to work with both age groups, and with a range of students, from those who excel, to those who struggle. The challenges and learning opportunities for teachers working within such diverse contexts are wide ranging indeed! Well done -

    ReplyDelete

Symbolic World